Images of destroyed buildings, partly still aflame, have emerged on social media, with some people alleging the devastation was caused by a Saudi-led coalition strike.
There has been no official confirmation as to what exactly caused the destruction, however. Yet some people allege that dozens of civilians were killed and scores injured in the alleged bombardment, a witness told Xinhua news agency.
— Yemen Post Newspaper (@YemenPostNews) October 8, 2016
— China Xinhua News (@XHNews) October 8, 2016
Sputnik news agency was also told by a source at the scene that the incident was caused by a Saudi-led bombardment that left dozens of people dead or injured, adding that the alleged airstrike had targeted a hall where Houthi rebels had been paying their last respects to the father of the rebels’ Interior Minister.
The total count of those injured and dead may reach the hundreds, the source told Sputnik.
Tensions in Yemen spiraled after President Ali Abdullah Saleh was deposed in 2012. In response, his Houthi supporters – reportedly aided by Iran – seized the capital city of Sanaa in 2014, before advanced to the south and seizing large parts of Yemen, forcing current Sunni President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi into exile.
— I4Yemen (@I4Yemen) October 8, 2016
In March of 2015, the Saudi-led coalition began airstrikes in order to stop Houthi advances and restore Hadi to power.
By late summer of that year, Saudi-led forces had launched a ground operation as well. More