At least 50 people have been killed after a Boko Haram jihadist slaughtered 50 worshippers in a suicide bomb attack inside a mosque in Nigeria.
The blast happened during early morning prayers at the Madina mosque in the Unguwar Shuwa area of Mubi, 125 miles from Nigeria’s Adamawa state capital Yola.
Security analysts said Tuesday’s bombing again underlined the threat posed by Boko Haram, despite an overall decline in deaths from attacks by the group last year.
Adamawa state police spokesman Othman Abubakar told AFP that at least 50 were killed in the Mubi attack.
‘It was a (suicide) bomber who mingled with worshippers. He entered the mosque along with other worshippers for the morning prayers.
‘It was when the prayers were on that he set off his explosives.’
Asked who was responsible, Abubakar said: ‘We all know the trend. We don’t suspect anyone specifically but we know those behind such kind of attacks.’
The attack bore all the hallmarks of Boko Haram, the Islamist militants whose insurgency has left at least 20,000 people dead and more than 2.6 million others homeless since 2009.
Read more: DailyMail