There were celebrations in Huruma, Nairobi, after a one and a half year-old girl was rescued from rubble four days after a building collapsed.
A team that was removing the rubble found the child emaciated on the first floor, early on Tuesday morning.
According to the Kenya Red Cross Society, the child was rescued at 4AM Tuesday.
The girl was rushed to hospital where officials said she had run out of energy but was being stabilised.
Twenty three people have been reported dead and 136 rescued so far. Rescuers said they intend to clear the rubble today.
Five people are expected in court today to face charges of manslaughter over the collapse.
They include officials from the National Construction Authority, City Hall’s inspectorate department, an engineer in charge of the site and the two brothers who own the house.
The house collapsed on Friday night trapping dozens of people. Reports indicate there was no construction plan and that the building had not been approved.
National Disaster Management Unit Commander Pius Masai has called on those still searching for their kins to be patient as search and rescue operations continue.
Tens of families have thronged Huruma estate in a frantic search for their kins among them John Awiti, whose seven family members who resided in the collapsed building cannot be traced.
This comes as the owner of the collapsed building is set to appear in court Tuesday.
Samuel Kamau, who owns several other buildings next to the one that collapsed, surrendered himself to Pangani police station on Sunday evening where he is being detained.
Kenya Defence Forces and National Youth Service personnel have taken over the rescue operations from the National Disaster Management Unit and have been digging up the debris to rescue those still trapped in the rubble.
On Monday, it was revealed that about 226 buildings in Nairobi County that do not meet construction standards are now set to be demolished.