Grains, fruits, nuts, and vegetables constitute the diet chosen for us by our Creator. These foods, prepared in as simple and natural a manner as possible, are the most healthful and nourishing. They impart a strength, a power of endurance, and a vigor of intellect, that are not afforded by a more complex and stimulating diet.—The Ministry of Healing, 295, 296, 1905. Counsels On Diet And Foods 81.2
112. God gave our first parents the food He designed that the race should eat. It was contrary to His plan to have the life of any creature taken. There was to be no death in Eden. The fruit of the trees in the garden, was the food man’s wants required.—Spiritual Gifts 4a:120, 1864 CD 81.3
You’ll never look at the humble banana the same way again after discovering the many health benefits and reasons to add them to your diet.
They can help to combat depression, make you smarter, cure hangovers, relieve morning sickness, protect against kidney cancer, diabetes, osteoporosis, and blindness. Plus they can even cure the itch of a mosquito bite and put a great shine on your shoes.
Bananas help overcome depression due to high levels of tryptophan, which is converted into serotonin — the happy-mood brain neurotransmitter.
Eat two bananas before a strenuous workout to pack an energy punch and sustain your blood sugar.
Protect against muscle cramps during workouts and night time leg cramps by eating a banana.
Counteract calcium loss during urination and build strong bones by supplementing with a banana.
Improve your mood and reduce PMS symptoms by eating a banana, which regulates blood sugar and produces stress-relieving relaxation.
Bananas reduce swelling, protect against type II diabetes, aid weight loss, strengthen the nervous system, and help with the production of white blood cells, all due to high levels of vitamin B-6.
Strengthen your blood and relieve anemia with the added iron from bananas.
High in potassium and low in salt, bananas are officially recognized by the FDA as being able to lower blood pressure and protect against heart attack and stroke.
Eating Bananas For Digestion
Rich in pectin, bananas aid digestion and gently chelate toxins and heavy metals from the body.
Bananas act as a prebiotic, stimulating the growth of friendly bacteria in the bowel. They also produce digestive enzymes to assist in absorbing nutrients.
Constipated? High fiber in bananas can help normalize bowel motility.
Got the runs? Bananas are soothing to the digestive tract and help restore lost electrolytes after diarrhea.
Bananas are a natural antacid, providing relief from acid reflux, heartburn, and GERD.
Bananas are the only raw fruit that can be consumed without distress to relieve stomach ulcers by coating the lining of the stomach against corrosive acids.
For Natural Healing From A Simple Banana
Eating bananas will help prevent kidney cancer, protects the eyes against macular degeneration and builds strong bones by increasing calcium absorption.
Bananas make you smarter and help with learning by making you more alert. Eat a banana before an exam to benefit from the high levels of potassium.
Bananas are high in antioxidants, providing protection from free radicals and chronic disease.
Eating a banana between meals helps stabilize blood sugar and reduce nausea from morning sickness.
Rub a bug bite or hives with the inside of the banana peel to relieve itching and irritation.
Control blood sugar and avoid binging between meals by eating a banana.
Eating a banana can lower the body temperature and cool you during a fever or on a hot day.
The natural mood-enhancer tryptophan helps to relieve Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).
Quitting smoking? Bananas contain high levels of B-vitamins as well as potassium and magnesium to speed recovery from the effects of withdrawal.
Remove a wart by placing the inside of a piece of banana peel against the wart and taping it in place.
Rub the inside of a banana peel on your leather shoes or handbag and polish with a dry cloth for a quick shine.
A Call to Return
113. The Lord intends to bring His people back to live upon simple fruits, vegetables, and grains…. God provided fruit in its natural state for our first parents.—Extracts from Unpublished Testimonies in Regard to Flesh Foods, 5, 6, 1890. CD 81.4
114. God is working in behalf of His people. He does not desire them to be without resources. He is bringing them back to the diet originally given to man. Their diet is to consist of the foods made from the materials He has provided. The materials principally used in these foods will be fruits and grains and nuts, but various roots will also be used.—Testimonies for the Church 7:125, 126, 1902 CD 81.5
115. Again and again I have been shown that God is bringing His people back to His original design, that is, not to subsist upon the flesh of dead animals. He would have us teach people a better way…. CD 82.1
If meat is discarded, if the taste is not educated in that direction, if a liking for fruits and grains is encouraged, it will soon be as God in the beginning designed it should be.No meat will be used by His people.—Letter 3, 1884 CD 82.2
[Israel Brought Back to the Original Diet—644]
[God’s Purpose in Restricting Israel’s Diet—641, 643, 644]
Part 2—The Simple Diet
An Aid to Quick Perception
116. If ever there was a time when the diet should be of the most simple kind, it is now.—Testimonies for the Church 2:352, 1869 CD 82.3
117. God wants men to cultivate force of character. Those who are merely timeservers are not the ones who will receive a rich reward by and by. He wants those who labor in His cause to be men of keen feeling and quick perception. They should be temperate in eating; rich and luxurious food should find no place upon their tables; and when the brain is constantly taxed, and there is a lack of physical exercise, they should eat sparingly, even of plain food. Daniel’s clearness of mind and firmness of purpose, his strength of intellect in acquiring knowledge, were due in a great degree to the plainness of his diet, in connection with his life of prayer—Testimonies for the Church 4:515, 516, 1880 CD 82.4
[Simple Diet Chosen by Daniel—33, 34, 241, 242]
118. My dear friends, instead of taking a course to baffle disease, you are petting it and yielding to its power. You should avoid the use of drugs, and carefully observe the laws of health. If you regard your life, you should eat plain food, prepared in the simplest manner, and take more physical exercise. Each member of the family needs the benefits of health reform. But drugging should be forever abandoned; for while it does not cure any malady, it enfeebles the system, making it more susceptible to disease.—Testimonies for the Church 5:311, 1885 CD 82.5
Saving Much Suffering
119. You need to carry out the health reform in your life; to deny yourself and eat and drink to the glory of God. Abstain from fleshly lusts which war against the soul. You need to practice temperance in all things. Here is a cross which you have shunned. To confine yourself to a simple diet, which will preserve you in the best of condition of health, is a task to you. Had you lived up to the light which heaven has permitted to shine upon your pathway, much suffering might have been saved your family. Your own course of action has brought the sure result.While you continue in this course, God will not come into your family, and especially bless you, and work a miracle to save your family from suffering. A plain diet, free from spices, and flesh meats, and grease of all kinds, would prove a blessing to you, and would save your wife a great amount of suffering, grief, and despondence….—Testimonies for the Church 2:45, 46, 1868 CD 83.1
Inducements to Simple Living
In order to render to God perfect service, you must have clear conceptions of His requirements. You should use the most simple food, prepared in the most simple manner, that the fine nerves of the brain be not weakened, benumbed, or paralyzed, making it impossible for you to discern sacred things, and to value the atonement, the cleansing blood of Christ, as of priceless worth.“Know ye not that they which run in a race, run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run that ye may obtain.And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things.Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible. I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air. But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection; lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.” CD 83.2
If men, for no higher object than a wreath or perishable crown as a reward of their ambition, subjected themselves to temperance in all things, how much more should those be willing to practice self-denial who profess to be seeking not only a crown of immortal glory, but a life which is to endure as long as the throne of Jehovah, and riches that are eternal, honors which are imperishable, and eternal weight of glory. CD 84.1
“3 John 1:2 Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.”
Ellen White Counsels On Diet And Foods