These differences occur because the modern versions have been translated from corrupt Alexandrian texts. These texts make up only 1% of all existing original language manuscripts and disagree with themselves over 3000 times in the Gospels alone.
The Textus Receptus or Received Text from which we get our King James Bible has over 5700 manuscripts and has been said to speak as “One Voice” God did preserve His Word somewhere, but it was not preserved in the corrupted copies from which we get out modern English Translations. It is a big deal because major doctrine is changed by the changes made in the Alexandrian text. Pray, and compare these verses in English for yourself and see if perhaps God would lead you to throw out your corrupted Bible and get a Bible that has been translated from the preserved manuscripts, the King James Bible.
1. Luke 9:56 – For the Son of man is not come to destroy men’s lives, but to save them. And they went to another village.
Luke 9:56 NIV – and they went to another village.
2. Matthew 18:11 – For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost.
Matthew 18:11 NIV – doesn’t exist
3. Colossians 1:14 – In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
Colossians 1:14 NIV – in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
4. Galatians 6:15 – For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature.
Galatians 6:15 NIV – Neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything; what counts is a new creation.
5. Romans 1:16 – For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
Romans 1:16 NIV – I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.
6. John 6:47 – Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.
John 6:47 NIV – I tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life.
7. 1 John 5:13 – These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
I John 5:13 NIV – I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.
B. Christ’s deity
1. 1 Timothy 3:16 – And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.
I Timothy 3:16 NIV – Beyond all question, the mystery of godliness is great: He appeared in a body, was vindicated by the Spirit, was seen by angels, was preached among the nations, was believed on in the world, was taken up in glory.
2. Philippians 2:5-6 – 5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
Philippians 2:5-6 NIV –5Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: 6Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped
3. 1 John 5:7-8 – 7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, theFather, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. 8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.
I John 5:7-8 NIV – 7For there are three that testify: 8the Spirit, the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement.
4. John 6:69 – And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.
John 6:69 NIV – We believe and know that you are the Holy One of God.”
C. The Virgin birth
1. Luke 2:33 – And Joseph and his mother marvelled at those things which were spoken of him.
Luke 2:33 NIV – The child’s father and mother marveled at what was said about him.
2. Luke 2:43 – And when they had fulfilled the days, as they returned, the child Jesus tarried behind inJerusalem; and Joseph and his mother knew not of it.
Luke 2:43 NIV – After the Feast was over, while his parents were returning home, the boy Jesus stayed behind inJerusalem, but they were unaware of it.
D. Eternal punishment
1. Mark 9:44-46 – 44Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. 45 And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched: 46 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
Mark 9:44-46 NIV – And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell.
2. John 3:15 – That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
John 3:15 NIV – that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life.