The Jehovah’s Witnesses go door to door, distribute the Watchtower and Awake magazines, deny the Trinity, the deity of Christ, and deny His physical resurrection. Are they Christian or something else? (Source)
Jehovah’s Witnesses (JW’s) claim to be Christians yet they deny fundamental Christian doctrine and manipulate the Scriptures to fit in with their own beliefs. From the Church’s perspective, which is what really matters, JW’s have deviated from the historic, orthodox teachings of the Church that are derived from the Holy Scriptures and confirmed through the ancient ecumenical creeds. Thus, they are not true Christians. JW’s have had to defend their spurious beliefs for decades.
Their headquarters is in Brooklyn, New York. They have their own Bible translation called the New World Translation.
- Jesus was previously Michael the archangel, making Jesus a created being.
- Only Jehovah is considered God.
- Salvation comes through faithplus a list of works determined by the Watchtower Society.
- The Bible is considered corrupt, except for the New World Translation
- The Bible has been changed to reflect the theological beliefs of Jehovah’s Witnesses
- There are three realms in the afterlife. (1) The highest realm where the 144,000 will be; (2) Faithful JW’s who do not make the 144,000 will be in the next level. They are supposedly the “little flock” of Luke 12:32; (3) Everyone else will be annihilated, or cease to exist.
- Celebrating most holidays such as Christmas, Easter, birthdays or other holidays and customs they consider to be pagan is forbidden.
- Will not hold political office and participate in patriotic activities.
- Will not salute the flag.
- Will not accept blood transfusions. In 1945 members were banned from accepting any form of blood, whether it is whole blood or fractional. Over the years the Watchtower Society has issued a number of contradictory teachings on the blood transfusion issue.