“Doctors Without Borders does important work all around the world, and the Department of Defense deeply regrets the loss of innocent lives that resulted from this tragic event,” Defense Secretary Ashton Carter said in a statement released while he visits Rome as part of a European trip.
“When we make mistakes, we own up to them,” Carter added. “That’s exactly what we’re doing right now.”
Earlier in the day, Campbell told Congress that the “hospital was mistakenly struck” by US forces on October 3, and said he has ordered American forces in Afghanistan to undergo re-training on rules of engagement.
“We would never intentionally target a protected medical facility,” Campbell testified before the Senate Armed Services Committee.
The general stressed that while it was the Afghans who called for the strike, ultimately the decision to launch rested with Americans.